Easy Brain Breakfasts for Busy People
1. Avocado Toast. Sourdough bread is usually the best option here due to the probiotic content and digestibility. We already know that probiotics and healthy gut flora have been linked to optimal brain wellness, so we might as well include some healthy gut bacteria in our bread choice. The most important part of this breakfast, however, is the AVOCADO! We already know that avocados are a superfood due to their ability to increase blood flow to the brain. Avocados can also help reduce blood pressure, which we know has been link to cognitive issues, making avocado toast probably the quickest and easiest option when it comes to brain boosting breakfasts. Slice up half an avocado, sprinkle it with some himalayan sea salt, spread it on some sourdough toast, and sprinkle on some chia seeds or even some nori flakes, and you are good to go!
2. Oats. Oats are always a go-to breakfast for most people, but oats are just the vessel for us to get in all of the healthy brain boosting fats to power us through until lunch. Most people just top their oats with some banana or cinnamon, but we know that topping our breakfast with walnuts, blueberries, and chia seeds are a much better option. With the brain healing powers of these 3 superfoods, oats are now a powerhouse breakfast for proper brain health! If you are super busy, try making overnight oats: Mix 1 cup of oats with 1 cup of plant-based or non-dairy milk of choice, 1 Tbsp of chia seeds, and 2 Tbsp of almond butter. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning, top with your favorite brain-boosting fats, and VOILA! Breakfast is served.
3. Chia Pudding. We know that chia seeds are chocked full of ALA fatty acids, which the body can convert to DHA ( a necessity for good brain health). This recipe is so simple and packed with nutrients that will boost cognitive function it really is a no-brainer. Just mix 1/4 cup of chia seeds with 1.5 cups of non-dairy milk, and let it sit in a jar in your refrigerator overnight. In the morning, top it with your favorite berries and some nuts, and you are out the door!
4. Grain-Free Granola. This is one that can be made on Sunday for the whole week, and is simple and delicious. For this one, mix 1/4 cup of honey, and 2 Tbsp of coconut oil in a pot on low heat. Throw 3 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes, 1 cup of walnuts, 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, and 1/2 cup of almonds, and 1/4 cup of chia seeds in a bowl. Mix in your warm honey and coconut oil, and toss to combine. Spread out your mix on a parchment-lined baking tray, and bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Keep this mix in a mason jar once cooled, and top with some flax milk and berries and you've got breakfast for the whole week!
5. Bulletproof Coffee. This one is for those who are a little more ambitious when it comes to brain health and fitness. MCT oil has been known to help with memory and cognitive function, as well as being a source of almost instant energy for the brain. For this recipe, blend 6 oz. of coffee with 1 Tbsp of MCT oil with 1 Tbsp of coconut oil. For even more brain boosting properties, try adding in a 1/2 tsp. of turmeric along with a small pinch of black pepper (black pepper activates the curcumin in turmeric so that we can assimilate it).