It’s July already, meaning that temperatures are on the rise. Between the hot weather and the stress of this unconventional year, staying hydrated at this time is more important than ever. In this blog post, we explore why getting enough water is essential to maintaining proper brain health and functioning, especially during the summer months. Read on to learn more, then check out the BIPRI Brain Store, offering brain tools, programs, nutrition, and supplements for helping adults and children achieve optimal brain health.
Parched Body, Parched Mind
Many of us have undergone the unpleasant experience of not drinking enough water on a hot summer’s day, only to find that our body feels lethargic, feverish, and even faint. It’s not only the body, however, that suffers from a lack of hydration, but the brain as well.
Considering that your brain is about 75% water, this should be no surprise. Your brain requires a full reserve of water for cells to function efficiently; running on empty can cause significant cognitive impacts, such as short-term memory loss and inattention. Staying hydrated allows you to be more focused, think faster, and enjoy greater clarity and creativity.
Cognitive Signs of Dehydration
Since dehydration causes your brain to run at a slower speed, it’s important to catch it before it becomes severe. Some cognitive signs of dehydration include:
- * Brain fog
- * Inattention
- *Short-term memory loss
- *Focus issues
- *A lack of mental clarity or acuity
While many different things may be to blame for these symptoms, one of the easiest steps you can take to try to fight back is grabbing a glass of fresh, cold H20. All too often we forget what a difference a little water can make in helping us feel our best!
Establishing Healthy Habits
- * When it comes to how much water you should drink throughout the day different experts have different advice, but the general recommendation is between 1.5 and 2 liters. * * Carrying a reusable water bottle with you at all times can help you remember to stay hydrated.
- * Bored of plain old water? Infuse your H20 with some fruit, vegetables, or herbs. You might even want to opt for herbal iced tea or unsweetened sparkling water.
- * Drink first thing after you wake up in the morning. While sleeping, our body and brain go 7-8 hours without any sort of hydration. Every breath we take effectively releases some of your moisture reserves. Make it a habit to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up (we recommend keeping one by your bedside).
- * Another easy way to remember to drink habitually is to set a reminder on your phone at least once an hour. While this may seem annoying at first, your body and brain will thank you.
- * Avoid caffeinated beverages, sugary drinks, and alcohol as much as possible as these can all dehydrate you by making you need to urinate more. If consuming any of these liquids, drink more water as well.
Shop Our Brain-Boosting Products and Programs Today!
Maintaining proper brain health is easy with BIPRI. We offer an assortment of brain-boosting tools, supplements, and programs to help you maximize your cognitive functioning and face whatever life throws at you. Try our best-selling 4-Motor Headband for some stress-relieving vibration therapy or hydrate and detoxify with our Young Brain phytonutrient drink mix, which supports healthy aging. For the ultimate BIPRI experience, sign up for one of our online brain and body programs, featuring a mix of BIPRI products, services, and online support to help achieve optimal brain performance, recover from injuries, and improve your overall health. From our BIPRI family to yours we wish you a happy, hydrated summer!