CBD is everywhere! It’s hailed by many as a method for managing everything from anxiety and depression to other mental health issues; others tout the benefits of CBD for its role in managing pain and inflammation associated with arthritis; still, others claim CBD for nausea management.
The body’s relatively recently discovered endocannabinoid system (ECS) helps regulate numerous other systems within the body. The ECS has at least two cannabinoid receptors to which cannabidiol (CBD) binds, providing stability and wellness to this system.
If you’re reading this post, however, then you’re probably already convinced CBD is right for you. Now the question remains, “How much CBD is right for me?”
How Much CBD is Right for Me?
Before we dive too deeply into this important question, we should mention a couple of things:
- Talk to your medical professional. While CBD is not known to have side effects or negative drug interactions, it’s important to talk to your health care provider about all prescription, over-the-counter and natural supplements you’re taking.
- Determine your method of delivery. One of the best ways to take CBD is by oil (also called tincture). Drops are placed under your tongue for 30-90 seconds. This allows the oil to be absorbed straight into the bloodstream. This bypasses the filtration systems of the lungs or digestive tract and allows the full potency of the CBD to enter directly into your blood and brain. This method also provides more immediate results. Other methods of taking CBD include gel caps, edibles, gummies, water solubles, creams and vaping.
Back to the question at hand, how much CBD is right for me? I hate to do it, but I’m going to answer a question with a question. What are you expecting from CBD? If you’ve decided to start taking CBD, you have a reason and an expectation. Are you hoping it will…
- Help you sleep?
- Manage chronic pain?
- Reduce nausea or increase appetite?
- Keep you alert and focused?
- Give you more patience?
- Take the edge off anxiety or depression and help you maintain a functional level?
Knowing what you want CBD to do and understanding your need level is critical. (For example, is your chronic pain level a 4 or a 9?)
How Much CBD Should I Take?
Short answer: the dose that works and gives you the desired results.
But that’s too easy. Here’s the long answer: it depends.
There are several factors (weight, diet, condition, metabolism, body chemistry, tolerance, etc.) that go into determining the proper dose.
A starting rule of thumb, however, is 1-6 mg of CBD for every 10 lbs of body weight, based on your individual level of pain or need.
Here are a couple of tips as you navigate to find your ideal dose.
- Start Low. Start with a low dose. It’s easy to increase the amount in measured increments if you’re not getting results from your initial dose.
- Stay Steady. Some people might take 30mg and feel nothing, while 60mg puts them straight to sleep. As you increase the dose, do so in small increments. Don’t go from 30mg to 150mg, for example!
- Take Note. Note the day and amount of the dose. Then record how you respond. Stick with a dose for a few days before increasing. Keeping track will help you know when you’ve achieved the correct dose for your desired effect.
- Listen to Your Body. As your body chemistry, metabolism, activity level, tolerance and other factors fluctuate, be flexible and recognize that today’s dose may be too little or too much for tomorrow’s dose.
- Time Your Dose. Some may feel the best level of control comes from a single dose once a day. Others may benefit from half doses twice a day, morning and evening.
CBD Strength vs. Amount
Determining how much you take also depends on the strength. For example, Brainceuticals CBD oils (AM Rise and PM Rest) are recommended at 33mg per suggested dose. The CBD Gel Caps are 30mg per caplet. Edibles, creams, vapes and other delivery systems can vary significantly.
Finding Your Correct CBD Dose
As you embark on the journey to determine what your correct CBD dosage is, let our clinical team at BIPRI help. Check out the Brain Power Blog for several great articles on CBD, the science behind it and some of its potential uses. We also offer a great line of high-quality CBD products and are happy to help you determine the right product to help meet your needs. Use our subscribe and save option (available on all supplements, including CBD) and get 15% off. This limited time offer also provides you with a free 15-minute consultation with our Clinic Director.
0 Comments for “What’s the Best CBD Dosage?”